Friday, August 13, 2010

A few thoughts from my mental meanderings today:

"Loner" -
When I was living up on Lopez Island years ago, I remember writing my brother Pat the following words:
"I'm happiest when the time spent with other people is less than the time spent alone."
I'm still a bit of a "loner", but now my little family and my "me" have kind of merged. I guess that's part of what happens when you get married, and when you have kids.
I'm very happy and contented nowadays, but I was reminded of that statement recently when I found myself sort of swirling around in a little more hustle-bustle of activity than usual. As things sort of sped up, I got really hyper, and I found myself talking faster, and I felt more and more uncomfortable.

I just took a hot bath and I did my afternoon meditation.

Ofuro -
Yes, I took a HOT bath believe it or not. It was 76 degrees outside when I returned from my walk at 1:30. Not that hot I guess, but in bright sun light, and being as Seattleite, it was warm enough for me, and I came home sweating big time. I usually walk in the early mornings.
During my first several weeks of hot summer weather in Japan way back when, I didn't understand how the Japanese could get into the "ofuro", their hot "honorable bath" when it was so warm outside. I actually left the bath heater off those first few weeks, and got into the cold water because it felt so good.
Until, something clicked, and I understood.
It actually felt better doing it the correct way. A hot bath, slip on a fresh clean yukata robe, pour a glass of cold ice tea or whatever... It somehow felt more satisfying, and "clean". Of course, a good fan blowing was nice too.

Suspenders -
I remember looking at the old man I met on Squak Mountain the other day, and I noticed that he was swearing suspenders without a belt. I often wear suspenders myself, something I started doing back when I worked in the Bakery, but I usually wear a belt too. For extra security? I don't know. But my suspenders are usually hidden by another shirt.
I always think about our Grandpa Johnson when I put on my suspenders. He didn't hide his suspenders with a shirt.
Anyway, I was driving along today when I realized that I hadn't put on a belt.
"Oh no!" I told myself.
"I've graduated."
And I might not wear a belt more often now.

1 comment:

  1. Went I saw the word suspenders my first thought was grandpa Johnson, he was a pretty cool man!

    ReplyDelete