Saturday, August 7, 2010

Andy Warhol and Kurt Cobain

I decided to do a little revision/editing with my Thursday, August 5 post, and do a separate entry for our SAM excursion:

Mike and I did the Free First Thursday thing at the downtown SAM - Kurt Cobain and Andy Warhol exhibit. Interesting combination. I liked it. Warhol was a little bizarre, but I liked him, and he was "ahead of his time". Kurt Cobain was Kurt Cobain, and Nirvana was good.

http://seattleartmuseum.org/Kurt/default.asp




We then went up to the main branch of the Seattle Library. An extraordinary building architecturally.

http://www.nikiomahe.com/architecture-design/seattle-central-library/

The west facade, with these diamond shape openings, angles in over a walkway. A bunch of pigeons were lined up on a small ledge above the walkway watching us pedestrians.



There's this area right in the center of the whole thing that people call the "Red Room". Very RED. They have a group of meeting rooms in this area, which the brochure says are painted in more subdued "neutral" colors. Just like everybody who sees it for the first time, like Mike, they go "wow" when the enter. Looks more orange than red here I guess, but with the lighting, I think the colors are close. The lighting inside is less and it's more red.

No comments:

Post a Comment