Sunday, March 7, 2010

scientology

A memory popped into my head when I read an article today by the NY Time's Laurie Goodstein, about some 'Scientology defectors' -
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/07/us/07scientology.html

Back in the 80s?, I was walking along a downtown Seattle sidewalk when I was approached by an attractive young woman who asked me if I wanted to hear about a wonderful new religion or something. I can't remember her exact words, but ignoring my little red flags saying 'no!', I followed her into a building where I was handed off to a young man who sat me down and started telling me about L. Ron Hubbard, etc, etc. He got to the part of his routine where he wanted me to buy Hubbard's latest book, and I said "no, thank you" and I got up to leave.
He immediately said "I feel like I've let you down".
I responded "No, don't feel bad. You haven't let me down. I just don't want to buy your book.", and I left.

I remember that exchange every single time I see the names Tom Cruise, et al...

No comments:

Post a Comment