Saturday, March 20, 2010

my morning newspaper

I felt a little out of sync this morning when I returned home from taking Inday into work. We got up at 3am, an hour earlier than usual so she could start work at 5am, and the morning newspaper still hadn't arrived. I poured my second cup of coffee, got out my latest library novel to read, and I was getting ready to check my email when I heard his truck.
Our delivery person is getting better and better with his throwing ability, and his aim. He barely slows down and just throws the plastic wrapped paper out through his open rider side window as he drives by. The paper has been landing consistently within a 6 to 8 foot circle area just off the sidewalk leading to our porch. He's good!

Being a technophile, I've been fantasizing about getting a "Kindle" or an "Ipad" thing someday. I wonder how much of my need/enjoyment of reading is the physical experience of turning the pages, the feeling a book or a newspaper in my hands, or
the writing/story itself, where the instant gratification of a 3g/4g? download of the latest novel by a best seller could be at the touch of a button. Wouldn't that be something!

Or maybe it's just a habit, this morning routine of mine, for decades...
from a rooming house mail drop off campus at the UW, to the mimeographed "Americal Newsletter" in Vietnam, to the plunk of the Japan Times through our metal door in Ube, to going out to my front yard this morning after I heard the truck drive by.

No comments:

Post a Comment