Friday, March 5, 2010

Galleries, the LRT, "Half the Sky"...

Attending a local 'Half the Sky Live' showing last night with Inday was a good way to end yesterday for me.
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/movies/2011226611_halfthesky02.html?syndication=rss
As part of International Women's Day, it was inspired by the book 'Half the Sky,' "to draw attention to efforts to end the oppression of women worldwide." Really, really good.

Early morning - rode the LRT downtown with brother-in-law Bob and brother Mike, had coffee, banana bread and good conversation at a Tully's below the Seattle Art Museum, and then went through the SAM for the First Thursday (free). Bob and I have been doing different museums, etc, on First Thursdays (of each month) for awhile now, and it's a tradition that will hopefully continue for a long time.

Walked up to the Westlake Mall and the 12pm ceremony welcoming back local Olympics atheletes (including JR Celski who got 2 bronzes in Speedskating, and Silver medalist Karen Thatcher for Women's Hockey). Fun, happy crowd, and the sun came out just in time...

Back home on the LRT in time for driving duties, and then off to the "C Art Gallery" just off of Rainer by Dearborn, for the "A Room Full of Sisters" show reception. Daughter Andrea joined me. A small gallery with some very good artists, including sister-in-law Lita. The old refrain, "if I had money"...if I did, I would be a collector (of art) for sure, and I could see myself wandering through small shops and galleries, just enjoying..., making discoveries, supporting artists, sharing...
http://www.cartgallery.net/Artist.asp?ArtistID=16588&Akey=9A679CJP

Back home (again), and then off to the 'Half the Sky Live' event. The original live event happened last month in NY, and yesterday's showings were held simultaneously in hundreds? of theaters nationwide for International Women's Day. A very, very good cause, beneficial for all of us, men included... The world-premiere of 'Woinshet' documentary is a "work in progress" as Marisa Tomei introduced it. Powerful.
http://www.halftheskymovement.org/

Driving home across Beacon Hill around dusk, between the C Gallery visit and the Half the Sky event, I had to stop and take the following shots:





I've gotten into the habit of having my camera with me at all times.

No comments:

Post a Comment