Friday, February 12, 2010

bicycling in Ube-shi

I got out earlier than usual this morning, and walking in the cold dark reminded me of my time in Japan. Other than cars going by, taking their drivers to work, I didn't see a single person outside. Very quiet. I remember bicycling through Ube-shi (city) in the early evenings, on the way to private English lessons, and seeing very few people out on the streets. The exact opposite of Cebu, or most anywhere in the Philippines I'd guess, where the wonderful hustle and bustle of people outside is inescapable.
I do remember riding through the more urban areas of Ube though, and every once in awhile a door from a small bar would open, and sounds of karaoke would pour out. Their sound-proofing must have been superb. The quiet sound of my bicycle pedaling down the street, and then a door opens with karaoke and a patron walking out. The door eases back shut, the quiet returns, and I pedal on...


I googled this image http://www.flickr.com/photos/52289481@N00/132356067/ I have regrets sometimes when I think about my early travels, and taking so few photos. Oh well.

No comments:

Post a Comment