Friday, July 16, 2010

concrete columns

I like taking photos, and I enjoy the anticipation of seeing what they really look like after I upload them to the computer later.
Maybe 5% of them will be "okay", and out of that 5% there won't be many real "keepers", but now there's the possibility that I can "capture" some of the wonderful things I see, and bring them back home with me. Most of the photos I chose to Post here are part of that first 5%.
Today, I was enjoying the contrasts between the gray concrete columns of the overpasses and the river water and green foliage below them. Especially the darks and lights, and the shadows. This was true even though it was overcast and gray, very different from the bright sunshine yesterday morning.




-------------------------------
WALKING

I'm reading a piece right now by Henry David Thoreau called "Walking". It's free in downloadable text or ebook format at http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page, and he writes about the enjoyment of being out in the forest and nature. I don't know if the following quotes are from "Walking" (I found them at http://www.famousquotesandauthors.com/), but I like them:

I frequently tramped eight or ten miles through the deepest snow to keep an appointment with a beech tree, or a yellow birch, or an old acquaintance among the pines.

The finest workers in stone are not copper or steel tools, but the gentle touches of air and water working at their leisure with a liberal allowance of time.

- Henry David Thoreau

No comments:

Post a Comment