Friday, April 23, 2010

"Chi-Hwa-Seon: Painted Fire"

I watched a film about a 19th century Korean painter last night with the title "Chi-Hwa-Seon: Painted Fire". It was awarded the Cannes prize for Direction in 2003. A very good film that captures the life and struggles of an artist and his art, as well as a good time period piece that shows the importance of painters and printers before cameras and film.
The film's occasional cuts to flowers and streams and trees and birds...the painter looking at nature...were wonderful. I thought about my morning walks, and how my appreciation for the simplest tree branches and leaves... has grown. Colors and lines and texture. It's everywhere.

I find myself enjoying these things even when I'm driving sometimes, from my car. I'm careful though, and it becomes a kind of peripheral panorama of the senses.
The Japanese Woodblock Prints show I saw last Friday were from the same time period, and I was able to see originals up close. I was reminded of a show of Van Gogh pen and ink drawings I saw once. You can feel the textures of paper and brush and ink.

I was thinking the other day - I want to do everything! But I can't. What I can do is appreciate and enjoy everything. I can be a "collector", an enjoyer if there is such a word, even if it's only through my eyes and in my mind.

1 comment: