Monday, April 19, 2010

Alden Mason, 91

"Art review: Alden Mason, 91, continues to delight and intrigue", "a delightful show... at Foster/White"
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/entertainment/2011624353_aldenmason19.html

From this morning's Seattle Time's "Our Monday" section. I had Alden Mason as a professor when I was at the UW, and along with Jacob Lawrence and other UW instructors, he influenced and inspired many, many artists. I remember a story/lesson he shared once about this wonderful white color he saw in a Cezanne painting when he was in France. He moved up close to the canvas, and the special white he noticed was actually part of the original "sized" canvas, the bare canvas with the white under layer many artists put on their canvases before painting. Mason was telling us that we don't have to cover up the whole canvas. I also remember once when I was having trouble with a back table leg in a still life we were working on, and he basically said to paint it out. Four legs or not, don't worry about it.
I miss painting, and I look forward to putting brush to canvas again some day...

No comments:

Post a Comment