Thursday, August 11, 2011

Dad, Jimmy and coffee...

I decided to go North this morning, and I tried riding up our little hill for the first time. No problem. I've known that I can do it, but I've been wanting to get into good bicycle shape without injuries, so I've been cautious.
My plan was to go out by the north end of Seatac airport, and I decided to stop and say 'hi' to Dad and Jimmy. I'm embarassed to say that I had trouble finding their graves, and I had to go to the office and get a graves 'roadmap': up by the second tree, take a left by Freeman/Lindman and go up 8 or so rows. I realized one reason I missed them earlier was that their grave stones had weathered a little. The Japanese in me surfaced (I think I was a tatami mat maker in one of my previous lives...) I rode my bike back home, and returned later with some cleaning materials.


The lady in the office offered me a cup of coffee, and I accepted. Being a coffee snob, I didn't like it much, but I remembered two coffee memories about Dad and Jim:
Dad - Dad would stop in the kitchen sometimes, pour a cup of cold coffee that had been sitting in their coffee maker all day, and drink a cup before going to bed...the coffee snob in me quietly gasped inside the first time I saw him do this...


Jimmy - this is a hard one for me - the last time I saw Jim was when he came out to the airport with the folks to see me and Hak Mi off to Japan. It was a little busy with the awkwardness of the goodbyes, and Jim asked me "can I buy you a cup of coffee Chuck?" I didn't accept the offer, and to this day...(I took a little break here...) - to this day, I have always regretted saying "no, thanks Jim"...
Anyway, during of my cleaning I decided to pour a little coffee on Dad's gravestone, and then I remembered Jim's long ago offer...and I poured some coffee on his gravestone as well...

4 comments:

  1. I love your stories, I go alot and I always lose them! I used to get tired of Jim calling me and telling what groceries he bought, he'd say every item, I always listened, he called me alot during the day and I didn't always talk, said I was busy, I think about that and wish he's call and talk to me awhile. I think we all have some regrets. But you know with dad's death, I pretty must feel I did everything I could, the only thing is I wish we would of taken that train trip to Portland I told him he'd have the Christmas before he died. Oh well, no use crying over something we can't fix. I want to believe we all meet again in another life, but for now I'm not sure......

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks Sis...I like the sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  3. ok should i be a wiseacre? man i want to be but...i won't

    sounds nice what you did cr! ..ok 'i don't need no stinkin map!' sorry it just came out!

    ReplyDelete