Monday, August 10, 2009

Vietnam wall


I told Nathan that I'm going to see the traveling Memorial Vietnam Wall this week, and he asked
"is your name on it?"
"Lucky for you, no."
"Why?"
"They're all dead people."
"Oh"
------------------------
My father told a co-worker the day I returned home "Chuck got back from Vietnam today."
His friend gave him a sad smile, and said "we got news yesterday...our son was killed in action."
I still get a lump in my throat when I remember this.
The last time the Memorial was in town, I had them check the registry just using the date around the time I returned home, and I found his name. Dad's gone now, and I can't remember the name, but I'll go again, have that lump in my throat...
------------------------
There was a documentary kind of show on TV yesterday about "Woodstock", the 40th Anniversary.

1 comment:

  1. I remember Dad talking about his friend who lost a son in Vietnam. Somehow I'm think "Holt" or something like that. Anyway, since the wall is in numerical order, and you know roughly the date you got home, you might be able to get close enough to the name to recognize it.

    ReplyDelete