Thursday, January 14, 2010

replacing kitchen tile

I'm into day 4 of a kitchen floor project, my launching of our get-the-house-ready-to sell effort. I really like the wood-like vinyl 36x6" strips! They even have a subtle texture surface, which makes them more realistic, and the guarantee is 25 years. They're tough. But I had to slog through the process of pulling up the sticky old tiles first. Whew! I'm getting tired of this home fixit stuff. I used to enjoy it a lot, but I now find myself dreaming about our future "condo" life.
Thinking about all of the remodeling, I should have taken before and after photos from day one, over 13 years ago. The first thing I remember doing was knocking a hole in the wall where the ultilty room dead-ended on the other side of the bathroom. I put in a doorway going to our bedroom, and that opened things up.
Also, they had an upstairs loft kind of add-on above our bedroom, with this ill-conceived circular staircase going up out of our bedroom closet. I knocked out the wall in the hallway outside our bedroom door, and built an L-shape staircase leading upstairs. That became Andrea's bedroom.
Those were just the beginning.The diamond design tile is what I removed (we put it down around 10 years ago). The yellow-y under-tiles might have been from the 1970s? The lighter area was from where their refrigerator was located. We think the darker wood color will look nice against the whites of our cabinets.we plan to paint the bottom trim a white color to match the kitchen cabinets on the opposite side of the roomas you can see, a 'work in progress'

No comments:

Post a Comment