Wednesday, September 16, 2009

planes, trains and...





Planes, trains and automobiles, and ships... I love 'em all. I went out to Seatac early this morning to see off Mary and Bob, who were headed to San Diego for a wedding. I even like airports. During my morning walks, I watch small planes coming in to land at Boeing Field. I remember checking out books when I was a kid on how to fly a Piper Cub, sitting on a chair in the kitchen and practicing with a large plate for the steering wheel and imaginary rudder pedals. I watch the larger regular airlines passing overhead flying into Seatac, the "Sounder" amtrak train going by on it's route between Tacoma and Seattle, the powerful BNSF locomotives rumbling by with their long lines of freight cars, our brand new LRT swooshing by every ten minutes... And whenever I drive along the downtown waterfront on a Saturday, I see the Norwegian Pearl cruise ship waiting on it's next load of cruisers going to see the glaciers of Alaska.
Maybe it's the thrill of traveling, seeing new places and things??
One small "travel" memory I have was watching an eagle lifting up off the water with a still writhing salmon in it's talons. That happened once when I was on the Amtrak train going along the coast just south of Bellingham. I was by the window, and a guy across the isle from me asked "I wonder if he has a fishing license". I looked up and out the window, and there it was, in all it's natural majesty...

2 comments:

  1. concider yourself 'smacked"
    mom says take care
    m-j

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey bucko your not only 'smacked' by me and mom but erin too!
    erin going to have a competition on blogs! she win
    saucer

    ReplyDelete