Saturday, January 31, 2009

a good karma withdrawal

I took a withdrawal from my good karma savings today, and/or I was very lucky!! My old Ranger pick-up died going down the ramp from Fauntleroy in West Seattle, right before the dip where it starts the incline going up to the W Seattle Freeway bump. We had just finished setting up Mom's new bed and I was headed home when the truck just stopped running. I couldn't even coast far enough to get over to the relative safety of the side. I assumed I didn't have any flashers even because there were no lights at all on my dash board! My only option was to be watching the rearview mirror and wave frantically with my left arm and stomp my brake lights as cars were rounding the bend and coming down the ramp towards my back end... One guy didn't focus until he was so close that I put my head back against my seat head thing and brace myself just before he woke up and swerved - fortunately there was no car to his left.

No panic really. I've always been sort of cool in emergency situations, but I did start to shake a little once a squad car finally pulled up behind me with his lights going. After what seemed like 10 or 15 minutes. My arm was aching by then!

Anyway, all is good, and I will never forget the sensation and the thoughts I was having just before it happened: "I wonder how much longer I can keep this thing (my Ranger) running?"

No comments:

Post a Comment